Erected in 1954, the carillon and tower were donated to The Citadel by two alumni, Charles E. Daniel, Class of 1918, and R. Hugh Daniel, Class of 1929, in tribute to their friend, Maj. Thomas Dry Howie, who was killed in action during World War II. Cast in the renowned Royal Van Bergen bell foundries in the Netherlands, the carillon contains one of the largest Dutch bell installations in the Western Hemisphere with bells ranging in size from 25 to 4,400 pounds. Also located in the tower is a marble and mahogany columbarium which contains 403 niches to hold urns bearing the remains of college alumni and their family members.
Home of the nationally recognized Academic Support Center as well as the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science. The building is named for Hugh S. Thompson, an 1856 graduate who was the first commissioner of the U.S. Civil Service, assistant secretary to the U.S. Treasury and twice governor of South Carolina.
Vandiver Hall was named in honor of Col. Thomas C. (Nap) Vandiver, Class of 1929, a prominent South Carolina banker and long-time member of the Board of Visitors. Vandiver Hall contains facilities and practice areas for the soccer, wrestling, track and cross country, golf and baseball teams.
Recognizes one of the nation’s oldest militia units—the Washington Light Infantry—which guarded the original campus at Marion Square until 1843 when it turned over the facilities to the first Corps of Cadets on March 20 of that year. The unit was also instrumental in the reopening of the college after the Civil War.