ring statue

The ring statue was unveiled on Oct. 14, 2011. The statue is made of bronze and weighs approximately 3,000 pounds. It was a gift to The Citadel Alumni Association from Palmetto Balfour, a national class ring manufacturer. Each Parents’ Weekend, the numbers on the crest of the ring are changed to represent the current class of seniors receiving their rings. The statue was made at the Heart Art Foundry in Bastrop, Texas.

Summerall Field

Named for The Citadel’s 10th president, an illustrious general whose legendary military service included the Spanish American War, Philippine Insurrection, Boxer Rebellion and several victorious battles of World War I. The first Southerner to become a four-star general in the U.S. Army, Charles Pelot Summerall capped a colorful military career as chief of staff of the Army before becoming president of The Citadel in 1931. His medals and dress sword are on display in Summerall Chapel. Summerall Field is the site of the dress parades that attract visitors on most Friday afternoons during the academic year.

Also known as the “parade field,” “parade deck” or “parade ground.”

Summerall Gate

Fashioned from sword gate panels, the gate was originally made for Whitehall, Gen. Summerall’s plantation in Aiken, S.C. The gold shields on the gates comprise four bronze stars and the general’s initials, CPS. The gate is on the northeast side of campus adjacent to Hampton Park.

Thomas Dry Howie Memorial Carillon and Tower

Erected in 1954, the carillon and tower were donated to The Citadel by two alumni, Charles E. Daniel, Class of 1918, and R. Hugh Daniel, Class of 1929, in tribute to their friend, Maj. Thomas Dry Howie, who was killed in action during World War II. Cast in the renowned Royal Van Bergen bell foundries in the Netherlands, the carillon contains one of the largest Dutch bell installations in the Western Hemisphere with bells ranging in size from 25 to 4,400 pounds. Also located in the tower is a marble and mahogany columbarium which contains 403 niches to hold urns bearing the remains of college alumni and their family members.

Washington Light Infantry Field

Recognizes one of the nation’s oldest militia units—the Washington Light Infantry—which guarded the original campus at Marion Square until 1843 when it turned over the facilities to the first Corps of Cadets on March 20 of that year. The unit was also instrumental in the reopening of the college after the Civil War.