Army Maj. Sam M. Savas, Jr., Class of 1951, conceived the idea of a brass bulldog while he was teaching military science from 1962 to 1965. After he was killed in Vietnam in October 1965, cadets donated their brass belt buckles, hat brass and breast plates to create this brass model of the college mascot. The monument also bears the name of his son, Navy Lt. Sam M. Savas III, Class of 1979, who died during a military rescue operation 20 years later.
Named for Brig. Gen. Johnson Hagood, Class of 1847, one of four graduates who attained the rank of general during the Civil War. Hagood chaired the Board of Visitors for 21 years, and from 1880 to 1882 served as governor of South Carolina during which time his major accomplishment was the reopening of The Citadel after its occupation by Federal troops following the war. The football stadium is also named in his honor.
At 10 feet above sea level, Indian Hill is the highest point in peninsular Charleston. The name comes from the many artifacts found on the site, where a Native American trader lived during Colonial times.
The main entrance to the campus is named for Thomas Petrigru Lesesne, Class of 1901. Lesesne was instrumental in moving the campus from its original site at Marion Square. The pedestrian gates on either side are famous sword gate panels wrought around 1830 by Charleston ironmonger Christopher Werner.
The burial site of The Citadel’s 11th president and one of America’s top five commanders during World War II. Gen. Mark W. Clark became the nation’s youngest three-star general at the age of 46. He commanded the Fifth Army and later the 15th Army Group. When he died in 1984, his funeral in Summerall Chapel drew dignitaries from around the world.